Thursday, October 9, 2008

Winding it Down

I have two races remaining this year: the ITU Huatulco World Cup on Oct 26 and the ITU San Francisco Continental Cup on Nov 8. Since I just finished a 4-week racing block, over the first half of this week I simply focused on recovering and getting my body back to a point where I could train hard again. It hasn't been easy - my plantar fasciitis is acting up and I'm still feeling sore from Tinley's this past Saturday. Nevertheless, with 4 weeks left in the season I'm going to train hard and try to make the best of these two remaining races. I've already had an awesome season, and another 1 or 2 good races would just be icing on the cake.

Earlier in the year I had a 3-week racing block with the first 2 races in Europe. Racing 3 weeks in a row took it out of me and I returned home burnt out and injured (with the PF). I ended up taking a little over a week off. I took this experienced and learned from it. During this past racing block I actually felt stronger each week. The main changes I made were maintaining weight room strength and dialing in a good general nutrition/recovery plan. I was sure to get in the weight room and workout with TC at least a couple times during my racing block, and I also started working with Jesse Kropelnicki of QT2 Systems to nail out a nutrition plan that would keep me at optimal energy levels. I have to say this combination worked great. Although I'm still fatigued from racing, I'm able to get through my workouts and I don't have that "burnt out" feeling I had during my summer racing block. All that's left to do now is to maintain some fitness, bang out some speed work, and let it rip in Huatulco!

No comments: